Monday, April 5, 2010

Dear John

Dear John, one of the many books by Nicholas Sparks, has a plot that is very unique. It is about a young man, John Tyree, who enlisted in the army when he was twenty years old. He lived with his father his whole life and never met his mother. He had a few troublesome years in school, and had a failing relationship with his dad. While he is on his two week leave back home in Wilmington, North Carolina, he meets a girl named Savannah Lynn Curtis. They develop a strong realtionship over the two weeks that he is home. She helps him discover something about his father that helps him understand why their relationship has not been the best. Their love is tested when John is sent back to Germany. They continue talking through letters and occasional phone calls. When it is time for him to retire and finally be with Savannah, the events of September 11 persuade him to reenlist. He feels that it is his duty and responsibility to honor his country in this time of need. The strength of John and Savannah's love is continuously tested and put under pressure.
This book shows how being apart can either strengthen or shatter people's relationships, also that accepting people for what they do and how they are can help realtionships. I liked this book, but I wouldn't say I loved it. I have read other Nicholas Sparks novels, and have enjoyed them much more than this one. The beginning captured my attention and was very interesting, but as the book continued i lost interest. It was hard for me to finish becasuse I felt like it was dragging on.

No comments: