This marking period, I read the book "The Invention of Hugo Cabret." It was written by Brian Selznick and it won the 2008 Caldecott Medal. Even though it is a novel, it also has illustrations. The book was great and it was beautifully illustrated. The book is over 500 pages long, but it was actually a quick read because it has over 100 pictures. The story takes place in the 1930's in Paris, France. It is about a twelve year old orphan boy who lives in the walls of a Paris train station. When his father dies and his uncle abandons him, he is forced to secretly maintain all of the clocks in the station. He is very good at working with clocks and machines. He depends on theft and anonymity to survive. His life changes drastically when he crosses paths with an old man who runs a toy booth in the station and his goddaughter. This is a wonderful story about a young boy who uses his talents to discover new things. I really enjoyed this book. I wouldn't say that it was my favorite book I have ever read, but it is definitely worth reading! :)
~Mary
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks Sam!! The book is very good and I hope you like it. Also, it wasn't very long because there is a lot of pictures, so its not that bad if you don't like long books! :)
~Mary
mary contrary-
This book sound really interesting and super intense. And I think it's great that it has tons of pictures because that enhances the story ehem andrew goodman. Sam, I agree with you because mary is a super reader and i would never be able to read a book like that.
~rach
Post a Comment