Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Runner

My book was called Runner. It was written by Carl Deuker. Something funny about this book is that people actually running has almost no significance to the story. This story is about a boy named Chance Taylor who is a poor boy living in Washington. All he has to live for appears to be running, but as the story progresses he's sees that he has a loving dad and a faithful friend. The significance of running in this story is that it gets Chance his job. He is ordered to run down to the cove and pick up a package and deliver it to his boss every couple of days. As he realizes he's in a drug smuggling chain he wants to quit, but that would put him and his dad in danger. Paranoia is built in Chance but is relieved by his high pay. Then things get worse as he unknowingly starts smuggling plastic explosive. As he tries to fix this he finds out he's working for terrorists, then attempts to turn this problem around. After he succeeds he and his dad become town heroes.
I enjoyed this book because it was very eventful and surprising. I never could have guessed the events in this book, and I like that because it keeps me thinking. What I don't like is that some times the events were a little too dramatic to a point where they almost didn't seem possible. I would recommend this book to a person who likes dramatic action.

No comments: