Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Green Mile by Stephen King

For my IRP project, I read The Green Mile by Stephen King. The Green Mile takes place at Cold Mountain Penitentiary in Louisiana. It's about Paul Edgecombe,his fellow prison guards, and criminals condemned to die in "Old Sparky", the infamous electric chair. It's about the journey of John Coffey,Delacriox,Wild Bill, and Mr. Jingles. It's about how sometimes bad things happen to good people.
When I was reading The Green Mile, my biggest struggle was keeping up with all of the time switches. The Green Mile switches back and forth from when Paul is an old brittle man to his younger days at the prison. It did at some points get a little confusing, but the only real dislike I had about this book is that it ended too quickly! It is definitely a new favorite book!
What I really loved most was that The Green Mile really challenged what I thought about the death penalty and to my surprise, got me crying at several different points in the book. It made me think about the balance between good and evil,the cruelty that some people possess, and what power can really do. It made me wonder about the world around us and the morals in life. I've read some really good books, but this was amazing. It was one of those books where you couldn't bare to see what happened next, but you had to. It made you want to scream at the characters in the book and tell them what to do.It was so well written that you felt like you could connect to the characters and feel exactly what they felt. Most importantly, it made you wonder what you would have done in that situation. I definitely reccomend it, but there is some mature content.

No comments: