Thursday, March 22, 2012
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of The Ring By: JRR Tolkien
For this marking period's IRP project, I selected The Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of The Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. Overall, I would say that it was a good book. It was about a hobbit (a hobbit is a creature similar to humans, but shorter) named Frodo Baggins who is in the ownership of a magical ring. When a wizard named Gandalf the Grey comes into town, Frodo's life turns upside down. Frodo already knew that his ring was powerful, but he soon learns that an evil person named Sauron is looking for the ring that turns out to be the one ring that gives its user an evil power. The Ring usually corrupts its owner, so Frodo sets out with his friends and relatives Sam Gamgee, Meriadoc Brandywine, and Pippin Took to destroy The One Ring in the volcano of Mount Doom. Along the way, Frodo and his pals develop a Fellowship and travel with Aragorn and Boromir, who are humans; Legolas, an elf; Gimli, a dwarf; and Gandalf the Grey the wizard. Their quest is long and grueling, but they still press on to save the land of Middle Earth from danger. I liked this book a lot. The quest held my interest and it was great as for the writing. The way it was written words such as yonder, dost, thou, and hither are used, so it was fun to read in the way of the Ye Olden Times. The characters were also interesting and the book itself was extremely well written. My favorite character was Tom Bombadil. A large portion of the book is devoted to him, yet he has nothing to do with the book itself. He is a God who lives in the middle of a foresaken forest and sings the oddest of songs. He is the master of himself and of the land around his house. When he puts on The One Ring, he is not corrupted, but compliments Frodo on owning such a beautiful ring. He belts out songs at the strangest of times. After leaving his home, Frodo never mentions him till later in the story. When he is referenced, Frodo asks whether he could be of use to the quest and whether or not he could guard The Ring. In the end, they decided that, since he has such awesome power and immunity to The Ring that he would forget about and misplace the ring that could cause great destruction. He is epic! I highly reccomend this book to anyone, but those who enjoy fantasy series would love this book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Louie, this book seems like it has nothing to do with our reality. Is it hard to get used to all of the mythical creatures and the world that they live in that is parallel to ours?
Honestly, I even forget some of the characters names, let alone the whole Middle Earth universe. Many characters and places also have names that resemble each other such as Mordor and Gondor. Trust me, if you read this book, you do not want to get mixed up! Mordor is strictly evil, while Gondor is to the direct west of it. Though, after a while, one gets used to all of the places and names and learns to keep track of all of them. I learned all of the names of the characters and places at around page 150. Keeping track of the creatures is easy though. The book contains all of the simple mythical creatures such as elves, dwarves, hobbits; orcs, wizards, treants; etc. in addition to humans. I knew most of the creatures beforehand, so it was simple to read and recognize each species. I am sorry for the long winded answer. I hope that it helped.
Louie, it did help. I always wondered how some people could get through those kinds of books that have many different characters like that. To be honest, I try to avoid those kinds of books because of all of the confusion that can arise between differentiating between the characters.
Post a Comment